Friday, August 14, 2009

New School Year

Welcome to the 2009-2010 School Year!
Well, for me that is. My first official day started this morning. We had our typical long meeting day where you go over just about everything including our principal's 99 expectations. Yes, I said 99. He did promise that there would never be more than that. No matter how long, many of them are common sense. My favorite is: Do not lose kids--physically or academically. Now, I understand academically. This is a true concern in many schools and states. No Child Left Behind (while I do not agree with it all and do not feel it is a fair system) is in place because many students have fallen through the cracks, however, that's another story for another blog. My favorite part about this expectation is that we don't lose kids physically. I laugh every time I read it. He, my principal, states each year that he DOES NOT want to be on the nightly news the first week of school. You may ask, "Does this really happen?!?!?!?!" My response to you, "YES!!" However, this past year, it was not at the beginning of the year and we were not on the news, much to my principals delight. The child, a 1st grader, decided he had to go to the restroom, and decided to go home--across the street!! Luckily, his mom was around. He was safe and had no accidents! I know this is not funny, but if you knew what we went through to ensure that our "kids" are safe, you would say, "Why worry?" We just do! His other expectations do let us know he cares about us and are reminders of what we MUST do daily. Thank goodness for my common sense. As for some people, well, they need a written reminder!! ha ha ha ha!
Anyway...Since I am teaching 4th grade this year, I knew there was a distinct possibility I would have some of my former students from the 2007-2008 school year. To say I was excited about this is an understatement! Much to my delight, I got 2! One actually wanted to be back in my class. Awwww....blush blush! I was tickled pink to call him today to give him the good news. I know many of my "kids" coming into my room next week, and I can't wait! It's going to be a great year! On top of that, my team ROCKS my SOCKS!! They are awesome! Love them, love them, love them!
So, as the year continues, I promise to send updates and all that jazz. Hopefully I will provide a laugh or too about our Saffari Through Scholarship! Yeah, it's our theme this year and it's been fun!

3 comments:

The Elliotts said...

didn't you mean "two" instead of "too"?

Alli and Erik said...

i don't know where i messed up...but i think you need to be the teacher b/c you caught my typo...Kayte Elliott, come on down! You get to teach the kids in Mrs. Barlik's class!! Woo Hooo! :)

The Elliotts said...

LOL...No thanks...if I get to stop being a Chaplain I'm going to just stay at home with bug-a-boo :)